WELCOME TO AROMAS DEL PICO
Caravela Coffee is pleased to invite you to participate in our 3rd annual Aromas Cafés Excepcionales cupping event in México. This year our event will be held in Veracruz and is called Aromas del Pico as a nod to the Pico de Orizaba, pictured above, which is the tallest mountain in Mexico and a prominent landmark in the coffee growing areas of Veracruz.
- Aromas is a showcase cupping and purchasing event where a select international jury will be cupping a curated selection of coffees from throughout México.
- These coffees will be pre-screened and selected by Caravela Quality Analysts that are currently working at purchasing stations in Oaxaca and Veracruz
- Coffees that score 85+ will be qualified for the International Jury.
- On the last day, and after the final round, we will have an in-person auction to make these coffees available to the members of the International Jury, followed by a celebratory dinner with producers and buyers
The event aims to discover exceptional producers and to facilitate long-term relationships between them and coffee roasters throughout the world. Past winners have been from the states of Oaxaca and Veracruz, with qualifying lots from the other coffee growing Mexican states.
Space is limited, so please apply for a spot on the jury as soon as possible.
Aromas del Pico 2017 is co-hosted by Ensambles de Cafés Mexicanos, a new dry mill and exporter based in Coatepec, Veracruz. The cupping event will take place at Cafetal El Equimite, a biodynamic coffee farm and agro-ecologic ranch. El Equimite is part of the Bios Comunidad Sustentable organization, which has projects in the fields of education, health, art, bio-construction, agriculture, among others.
Coatepec is a traditional coffee town, a short drive from Xalapa, the capital of the state of Veracruz and a vibrant university city. Coatepec is designated a "Pueblo Magico" which are towns that offer a magical experience based on their natural beauty, cultural riches or historical relevance.
Aromas is also made possible thanks to other valuable partners:
- El Centro Agroecológico del Café A.C., CAFECOL, an NGO dedicated to the development and technical transfer of knowledge and technology for the sustainable development of the coffee culture in Veracruz.
- UNTAO, the Union Nacional de Trabajadores Agrícolas Oaxaqueños SC is a cooperative and dry mill in the state of Oaxaca. UNTAO provides coffee education as well as dry milling and export services in Oaxaca.
We would like to thank our Mexican partners and collaborators for their work to make Aromas del Pico 2017 a success.
Plan to arrive in Mexico City on Monday, April 24. Book a hotel room at one of these hotels:
On Tuesday, April 25, a charter bus will take the participants to the town of Coatepec, Veracruz, a 4.5 hour trip.
Caravela will arrange for transportation during the Aromas event and for hotel reservations in Coatepec:
Lodging and any additional transportation or expenses for optional afternoon acitivities will be paid by the participant.
On Saturday, April 29, a charter bus will return to the Mexico City airport for departure flights.
For participants that would like to extend their trip, we can arrange for farm visits and other coffee-related and cultural attractions in the area.